It is common for athletes to transfer from one school to another in the middle of the academic year. Here are some general reminders about midyear transfer situations.
1. Baseball players transferring TO an NCAA Division I program at midyear cannot be eligible until the following academic year. This is true regardless of whether the athlete is transferring from a two-year or four-year school.
2. The above is also true for Division I basketball.
3. 4-4 transfers in bowl subdivision football and men’s ice hockey, as well as in baseball and basketball, are ineligible to compete during their first year in residency.
4. Athletes in baseball or basketball looking for immediate eligibility upon transfer need to look at NCAA Div. II, Div. III, NAIA, or a two-year college.
5. Find out when your grades from this term will be posted to your transcript. Request a copy of your transcript ASAP.
6. You must have written permission from your present NCAA Division I or II school before speaking to another Division I or II school about the possibility of a transfer. Request this “permission to contact” before the athletic offices are closed for the holiday break if possible.
For more detailed information, you can search the blogs on our website, or contact us for assistance at 913-766-1235.