Informed Athlete® receives many calls from parents of student-athletes who have transferred from a junior college to an NCAA sports program and then learn they aren’t eligible to compete after they have already started attending classes.

This is because the student-athlete did not satisfy the necessary NCAA academic transfer requirements while attending the junior college.

If you have a junior college athlete who is transferring to an NCAA college for the Spring semester, and are unsure whether they will be eligible for competition this Spring, we can provide a confidential consultation to explain those requirements and discuss options that may be available for your athlete. Click here to schedule a confidential phone consult or email consult, call us at 913-766-1235 or send an email to

Based on some phone calls we’ve received and some postings we’ve seen on social media, it seems that some college athletes and parents now believe that the transfer process is “automatic.”

When the new NCAA Transfer Portal took effect back in mid-October, it changed ONLY the process that an athlete must follow to contact other universities regarding a transfer. And, it only changed the process for NCAA Division I athletes.

What Didn’t Change:

  • The NCAA Division II and III rules for obtaining “permission to contact” other college coaches didn’t change,
  • The NCAA Division I, II and III rules and academic requirements regarding whether an athlete can be immediately eligible as a transfer athlete didn’t change.

To be fully informed on the steps to follow for a transfer and the possible obstacles that you should be prepared for, schedule a private confidential consultation by calling us at 913-766-1235 or sending an email to

NCAA Division I baseball programs are restricted to a roster limit of 35 players once the season begins on February 15.

There may be some NCAA Division I programs that still have 36 or 37 guys practicing with the team as they prepare for the season, but those extra one or two guys beyond 35 will be cut from the team prior to the start of the season.

Once a player is told that they are no longer on the 35-man roster, they are prohibited from practicing with the baseball team or being involved in any team meetings or other activities.

On occasion, I have talked with parents who indicate that their son was told he is a “bullpen catcher only.” That is permissible as long as he’s on the 35-man roster for his university.

Also, if an athlete is serving in the role of “student manager” in the role of “student manager for an NCAA DI baseball program, he is forfeiting his eligibility to ever play baseball for that program. He would have to transfer to another university to have an opportunity to compete in college baseball.

If you have questions about the baseball roster limit or the impact on your student-athlete’s eligibility or scholarship opportunities and would like a private confidential consult, contact us at 913-766-1235 or send an email to

I’ve seen a number of articles in newspaper sports sections or in social media postings about NCAA Graduate Transfer-Athletes who are automatically assuming that they will be immediately eligible at their new university because they have earned their undergrad degree.   In many cases this is true.

However, even the NCAA graduate transfer athletes have rules that they must satisfy in order to be eligible at their new university, and those rules differ between NCAA Division I, Division II, Division III and NAIA institutions.

For questions about transferring to compete at a new university as a graduate student, click here to schedule a confidential phone consult or email consult online, call us at 913-766-1235 or send an email to

When you’re a high school student-athlete, or the parent of one, and you’re focused on trying to be recruited and admitted to your dream school, it may seem a bit odd to already be thinking ahead about the possibility of a transfer to another school at some point in the future.

However, thinking ahead to the possibility of a transfer can be very helpful if that time comes. 

Here are a couple of examples of how thinking ahead can be to the student-athlete’s benefit:

-It’s common for student-athletes to start at a college that is quite a distance from home, but then they become “homesick” and want to transfer to be closer.

If their original school, and the school the athlete wants to transfer to are in the same conference, there may be conference rules regarding an intra-conference transfer which restrict the athlete’s future eligibility.

-If a student-athlete transfers from their original four-year college to a Division I program in baseball, basketball, football, or men’s ice hockey, the student-athlete is often required to serve a “year in residence” attending the new college before they can compete for that team.

However, if a student-athlete was not on scholarship and was a “non-recruited” athlete at their original school, they will have the opportunity to be immediately eligible at the second university.

If you are interested in learning how the transfer rules could impact your student-athlete in the future and would like a personal and confidential consult to discuss these issues, you can schedule online.  Or, if you prefer, contact us directly by calling 913-766-1235 or sending an email to



If you’re a college athlete who was injured during your Fall season, you may want to consider whether you qualify for a Medical Hardship Waiver.

If you did not compete at all during this season, it can be considered as a “redshirt” season for you, and even if you were injured, your athletic department may tell you that a Medical Hardship Waiver isn’t necessary since you didn’t use one of your 4 seasons of eligibility anyway.

However, if we look ahead and consider the possibility that you might become injured again and miss another season, then 2 seasons with a Medical Hardship Waiver could gain you an extra year of playing eligibility.

In a private, confidential consult, we can discuss the guidelines for obtaining a waiver for Extension of Eligibility and help you to prepare for that possible option. Click here to schedule a confidential consult online, call 913-766-1235 or send an email to is a website that allows high school and junior college baseball recruits and their families to search a database of NCAA college baseball programs for information helpful in the recruiting process, as well as to receive other helpful recruiting information.

We have known the folks with for several years now and are confident in their baseball knowledge and their focus on helping baseball athletes and families find a program that is the best fit for the athlete’s skills and abilities – both athletic and academic!

Website members will be able to search baseball programs by tuition cost, enrollment size, faculty/staff ratio, as well as by other data such as division, conference, etc.

Visit and see if a membership is right for you. If so, you can receive $10 off the yearly membership fee by using Promo Code OTRBATHLETE.”

What are the options for an NCAA student-athlete who will have enough credits for their undergraduate degree by the end of the Fall 2019 but will still have eligibility remaining?

An athlete in this situation could:

  1. Graduate at the end of the Fall 2019 term and then continue on during Spring semester as an undergrad pursuing an additional minor or a second baccalaureate degree.
  2. Delay graduation until May or June of 2020 by taking less than 12 hours of coursework.
  3. Graduate at end of the Fall 2019 term and begin a graduate program during the Spring of 2020.

PLEASE NOTE: There are requirements for each of these options that are specific to the individual’s academic situation. To learn more, schedule a confidential consult to discuss your student-athlete’s situation with Rick Allen and learn whether or not one of these options is possible.

Spring-sport NCAA DIII student-athletes should keep in mind that the NCAA DIII Redshirt Rule is quite different than it is for NCAA DI and DII athletes.

NCAA DI and DII athletes can practice with their team all the way through the end of the season and as long as they do not appear in an actual game representing their university against another team, it will be considered a “redshirt” year.

However, NCAA DIII athletes will use one of their four “seasons of participation” if they practice with their team after the first game of the season – even if they never appear in an actual game against another team.

This happened to a client of ours – a Division III baseball player – a few years ago. The athlete’s father contacted us to ask about his son’s redshirt season because he had left the team after just one week of the season. However, since he had already practiced with the team after the start of the season, he was still charged with a “season of participation” and had 3 seasons of eligibility remaining rather than the 4 the father thought he had.

If you’ve got questions about NCAA Redshirt Rules and Guidelines, send an email to or call us at 913-766-1235.

Enrolling full-time in the spring at an “interim” college if the student-athlete is not sure where they are going to attend in the Fall will impact their opportunity to use the one-time transfer exception.

If you’re a college athlete (or parent of one) considering a transfer, but are uncertain about what you’re going to do for the Spring term or quarter (attend another college full-time, part-time, or not at all?), we highly recommend you contact us for a fee-based consultation to discuss your options and how part-time vs full-time enrollment could impact your future eligibility and potential opportunity to use the one-time transfer exception.

In one of our confidential phone consultations, we’ll guide you through all the steps in a transfer and inform you of the rules and academic requirements to give you the best opportunity to be immediately eligible at the next college. We’ll also inform you of your rights if your coach tries to block your transfer or places limits on the other universities that you can contact.

To schedule a confidential consult online click here, call 913-766-1235 or send an email to